Culture wars…political division…moral battles. We live in a time that is dog eat dog and highly divisive. And as you’ve probably noticed, with all the screaming and name calling, nobody’s changing their minds.
Join us the next three weeks as we talk about how to think right about important issues, how to carry on productive conversations, and how the Way of Jesus interacts with the world around us. Sunday Mornings (8:30, 10:00, and 11:30am)
These 3 weeks will equip us in a general sense to understand how Christ-followers are supposed to relate to the culture around us. Not sure how you’re supposed to respond to issues? Have a problem with Christians and how they “stand”? Know
Christians who act so differently on issues and you can’t figure out why? These 3-weeks should help you:
• April 28 - Let’s Just Talk (Galatians 2:11-21) -You strongly disagree with someone on what you perceive is a very important issue. How do you bring it up without causing a huge fight? Is it possible to resurrect civil discourse? And is Facebook really the best place to condemn?
• May 5 - The Story of Redemption (Romans 8:19-20 and Joshua 5:13-15)— Culture is not a new thing; neither is Christianity. We’ll take a quick look at how the Church has interacted with Culture, both in proper and improper ways.
• May 12 - Truth and Grace (Judges 2:20-23 and Acts 17:22-31) - HOW does Christ call the Church to be a part of redeeming the culture? Fight it? Embrace it? Or is there another way?
MONDAY NIGHT CULTURE CONVERSATIONS
On Monday nights (6:30-7:30 in the Shed) we’ll
explore a few major trends in our culture, and talk specifically about how that trend has affected a
particular social issue. We’ll also look at how to
converse with grace and truth in those chats.
• May 6 - My Rights Are the Highest Value - As moral values have decreased, they must be replaced with something. That thing has become our own personal rights. We’ll see how this has shaped issues of the sanctity of life?
• May 13 - You’re An Evil Enemy If You Disagree With Me - We’ll close our Can We Talk? series with a frank discussion of hatred and divisiveness in our culture. Is being right enough, or does God call us to something more - being an agent of change? We’ll see how this has shaped issues of politics. UH-OH!
Childcare is available for our Monday night conversations, but you’ll need to sign up the Wednesday prior, by registering below.